September is Leukemia and Lymphoma Awareness Month.
For more information about blood cancers or disorders visit one of our 8 Millennium Oncology Locations or the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society website (LLS).
Below are some quick facts and links from LLS:
- Leukemia is a type of cancer that affects the blood and bone marrow
- The disease occurs when blood cells produced in the bone marrow grow out of control
- Common types of leukemia are named according to type of cell affected and whether the cell is matured or not. Click on the LLS.org links below to learn more about the specific types of leukemia.
- Lymphoma is a group of blood cancers that develop in the lymphatic system.
- Two main types areHodgkin lymphoma and non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL).
- About 731,277 people are living with lymphoma or are in remission (no sign of the disease).